Austal Catamaran Water Jet Wake

I am currently looking after the build of 4 x 41m Cat ferries for the Trinidad Government as an Owner’s rep and the first of these 4 Catamaran Ferries went on trials last week.

We achieved 40 knots at 100 % Power and we operating in about 18 knots of breeze. The ride was exceptional and as you can see by this wake the water jets move a serious amount of water to propel these craft along at 40 knots.

The vessel has 4 x 1400 kW MTU 16V2000M72 series main engines and Ka Me Wa A series water jets.

Something a little different for the blog but I am sure it will be of interest to some crew out there!

This entry was posted in Austal Ships Catamarans and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Austal Catamaran Water Jet Wake

1. Brett Morgan says:

That Vessel is hooking Mark thats for sure ๐Ÿ™‚ boats that go fast are very intersting and at a big size to very impressive.

Yes mate..Austal also has an 86m and a 120m Trimaran in their yard at present that can do 40 knots which is even more impressive!

2. That's quite a wake, 40 knots is shifting for a big vessel. Keep the boats coming.

I should get a few more shots over the coming weeks so stay tuned Matt!

• I grew up in Spearwood and used to fish there when as a teenager it was ASI. It was great seeing the stuff coming out of those yards. World beaters, should have got the Submarine contact, we might then have some subs in operation…

Yes I have been in the thick of the growth of the ship building industry in WA and it has been a lot of fun Matt!

The donks … are they Gemmies ?

No Merv…German made MTU's.

GM's lost the plot when the 2 strokes couldn't meet modern day emmision std's!

They did go to 4 stroke in the truck motor but i've sort of lost contact with them since then, not even sure they are still in production,.

The screamin 2 stroke was a simple engine that powered a lot of plant in its day.

Yes they still make few small 4 strokes these days but nothing like their hey day.

There was a year when my old company Image Marine was the largest buyer of Detroits in Australia Merv!

How's that for a but of history!

5. Christian says:

water bogans ! ;-0)

6. Brett Morgan says:

Not water Bogans CF we just love the ocean oops maybe thats what we are then lol. Oh mark I would like to see the other two vessels that would be very impressive indeed 120 metres doing 40 knots ooh yeah.

7. hmmm, drum firsts on chest and say "more power!" ๐Ÿ™‚ I saw one of the yachts a few weeks ago on the dry dock when I went out fishing for some squid, and it looked huge!