Back from Lake Ballard

We have just return from a quick sortie out to Lake Ballard with Christian Fletcher, Mike Fletcher, Dave Bettini and myself. Certainly a beautiful part of the world and very clever with all of these little statues scattered around the place which made for great subject matter both day and night.

I called the top image Star Girl as it has an off world feel about it. The Stitch is one of many I shot during the stay out there and is showing off the subtle colours evident all around the lake. It would be a great place to visit with some water and kick butt clouds in the area!

On the way to Lake Ballard we stopped at Northam for an early morning shoot and took some inspiration from a shot that Peter Hodgson took of the Northam flour mill…thanks Peter, that was a great shot of yours and I have put my slant on a similar scene.

I have heaps of good shots still to work up from the trip and I hope you like these first 3 teasers!

This entry was posted in Lake Ballard and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Back from Lake Ballard

1. Tony Middleton says:

Well… well… well… Here I was about to email you to see if you were still ok… no posts for days is not normal Markie behaviour ! The bottom shot is pretty sweet with that light and hues.

🙂

• True North Mark says:

Glad to see that you are looking out for me mate and if I ever go missing for too long you will be heading up the search party!

Yep I rate that image as well…glad you liked it mate!

That was a quick trip.

The mill shot is from right outside Pete's front door !!!

Looks good with the swan in it.

Can i say you failed the mission ? 🙂 🙂 🙂

3. chizzy says:

Awesome shooting Marky.

• True North Mark says:

Thanks Chizz..Tim, I learned all I know about night shooting from Brent so it is not surprising you see the similarity to the style…and yep I am pretty happy with teh flur mill shot eh!

4. islandimages says:

Really like the flour mill shot Mark, the stargirl one looks funky as well. Looks like a place Brent Pearson would have some fun with!

5. Looks like you had great fun with the first one, car headlights or a really large flashlight!

Now the middle one has great potential…makes me want to run down onto that saltpan (?) and shoot some wide open spaces!!! Get rid of all that foreground (just my personal taste, you know that, I know you and many people like it) and rush down to that lovely open space 🙂

Third one, doesn't really cut it for me, no real interest in that for me I must admit. Light is nice and it's nice and sweet but no drama or interest.

Good to see you back mate!

• True North Mark says:

Thanks Bo,

Don't worry mate I have plenty wide open space shots that I took just for you mate!

6. Andrew Brown says:

good stuff mate, I like the star girl image, something really different

7. Christian says:

was a great week mate, thanks for the good times. Should have a post up by tonight.

8. Fletch Aka Hackman says:

Seems like we where there a week ago. Just finished cleaning the van. Christian was coming around to help. Yeh right!!!!!!

Great shots Mark and nicely worked in the comfort of my bed. Gee that sounded gay not that that is a problem. Next time I want my bed back so your on the floor and thanks for the ear plugs too….Couldn't of made it without them 🙂

Bring on the Fitzgerald National Park I say…. and the Stirlings too..

No I want the time lapse !!!!!

10. Dave Bettini says:

Great shots mate! I learnt a fair bit about shooting at night. Star Woman is a cracker. The lake is so haunting and star and your swan is poetic. Will get some pics up tonight. Cheers and thanks for a great couple of days.
    Dave

• True North Mark says:

Hi Dave…yep we had fun mate…and always great to see you and your big gun out and about!

What I know about night shooting is only the tip of the iceberg compared to the man Brent Pearson, but it was good having a bit of a play under those beautiful stars eh!

See you on the next adventure!

11. Fletch Aka Hackman says:

I'm on to it Merv but two months sounds a bit tight.

12. Peta says:

love your take on the lake ballard statues. It's a place where I would love to go. I believe they are putting more statues in shortly.

• True North Mark says:

Yes indeed Peta…I rate this place for sure.

I am definitely going back with water in the lake and hopefully with a storm or 2 around!