Sugarloaf Storm

We went down south this weekend and rather than battle the hordes of crowds in the water, I decided to head out to Sugarloaf to see what I could get with the 4m swells.

Ian Wise joined me a little later and we worked around the area for a few hours in between rain showers.

This shot took some work I can tell you! An 18 shot stitch which I had to do manually as PT Gui wouldn’t touch it!

Shot with my 50mm and a 10 stop ND…took a few hours I can tell you!

This entry was posted in Cape Naturalist and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Sugarloaf Storm

1. How do you stitch something manually?! It’s a great image mate, glad you go something for your efforts!

– paul

2. Thanks Paul…if you go here: http://www.truenorthmark.com/blog/?s=manual+stitching
    I did a bit of a tutorial on how to manually stitch.

• Thanks Mark.. I quite often get a little bit of warping from using a wide angle.. I’d have to shoot completely differently to use that technique.. probably need to change anyway πŸ™‚

• You would only use that technique with a 50mm Paul, unless you were blending clouds and reflections.

The last Mitchell storm cloud image was a manual 2 image stitch with the 17mm.

• Yeah, I’m not overly fond of my 50mm f1.8.. I need to get a better 50mm I think. I use the 16-35mm f2.8L and 24-70 f2.8L most of the time.

I’d love to see this image printed off full size, we bought a 24″ photo printer not long ago.. even my dodgy work comes out amazing on it πŸ™‚

– paul

3. Bryceworld says:

18 image??? Dam Marky Mark. Did Sugarloaf Mark know what he was doing to PS Mark?
    A dam fine job mate I must say. Maybe when I have the balls one day I might try such an epic feat! πŸ˜‰

• Hey Bryce….funny comment mate! Yes I think Sugarloaf Mark was being a bit ambitious eh… But PS Mark rose to the challenge!

By the way I just remembered it was a 16 image stitch, not 18… It must’ve just seemed that many!

4. Yes it would look good in print eh Paul.

I also have a 24 inch Canon!

Watch the 16-35…soft as on the edges. The only way I had any success was to focus stack.

My 17mm is soooo much better!

5. Stitchmaster Mark at his best! This is very good buddy, Sugarloaf look so much better in stormy conditions and I really like the subtle natural processing of this image too.

6. Andrew Brown says:

Great image Mark, worth the effort I’d say

7. Dave Catley says:

Love the composition Mark, the way you emphasised the foreground rocks almost makes Sugarloaf look like it’s only 10ft tall and a few meters away lol

8. Andrea Green says:

Awesome shot Mark, I really like your composition of this, bit different to other shots of sugar loaf.
    So with your epic stich have you done side to side and top to bottom for it to be so many images and also why so many? What is the reasoning for that many shots to make up a stitch, is it purely for size or for size and also detail? Just curious.

• Hi Andrea, it was 8 across the top and 8 across the bottom and I did that to get more sky in and also the foreground rocks. File size was a consideration rather than going the easier route of a wide angle shot and also using the 50mm makes everything look larger and in proportion.

Thanks for the positive feedback Mr. Spool! πŸ™‚

9. Nice one Mark …. nice light as well ….

10. Sweeeeet!!!! Well worth the effort.

11. Ian Wiese says:

That is a great effort Mark Getting a 16 shot stitch that has few stitching errors (I can’t see any) with water that rough is tough to do. I am not surprised PTGUI complained about it.
    That sunlight pretty much disappeared as I arrived.

12. Thanks Jamie. Ian, I was at this spot when I called you so it was a shame the clouds came in thicker after you arrived…did you bring them with you! πŸ™‚

13. Impressive work, especially how you managed to blend the clouds and water seamlessly between images, since they have a tendency to move around a lot between those long exposures. What kind of exposure times were you using?

14. F8, 1.6 seconds and 320 ISO Armand.

15. F8, 1.6 seconds and 320 ISO Armand.

16. Hi Armand…1.6 seconds will give movement without losing the detail.

10 seconds will simply smooth the water out, which is not what I wanted.

17. Tim Wootton says:

Great result Mark, well worth the effort!

18. Thanks Tim, the responses thus far suggest that it was indeed!

19. Eden says:

Very nice! Lovely lighting.

20. Thanks Eden…this was the last of the good light really as the cloud came in more after this shot.

21. Christian Fletcher says:

love the drama in this one Markie, you did good!

22. Peta says:

I can see why you had to manually stitch this one…excellent…