The old road to Broome

As many of you are aware, Mike Fletcher and I spend a few days recently up at Mundabullengana Station and the history there was mind boggling in many ways, but none more than the fact that the old Canarvon to Broome road went through the station property.

The above image shows what the road used to look like and just imagine doing that run in cars like the old wreck shown below. Old Dogga Thompson had an idea what make the wreck was, but I cannot recall. Any ideas anyone? As we said when we were looking around the old car, if only cars could talk and what stories this wreck would have to tell! Why was it abandoned? What happened to the occupant? How long has it been there?

On the way back along the old road a Kangaroo decided to see if he could pace us and he was doing a pretty good job of it as well!

This entry was posted in Pilbara and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to The old road to Broome

1. Mate that kangaroo shot is pretty awesome.. how many attempts did it take? haha πŸ™‚
    The old car looks somewhat like one of hte old holden specials.. but a lot of the cars of that era looked similar..

• Hi Paul, I took a few of the Kanga but this was the best I reckon…it managed to show the speed pretty well I reckon.

The old car was not of the Holden range I don’t feel as Dogga had a pretty strong idea that it was something I had never heard before..I will find out and let you know!

2. Pete Hodgson says:

Like the road shot Mark but can you stop teasing me with these outback images as I’m getting restless again.

You captured the roo well. I’ve tried to get a shot like this a few times but failed miserably. Mind you I’m always driving and shooting at the same time . looks like you were a passenger here.

The old car looks like the Dodge or Oldsmobile variety. Doesn’t look like a Holden.

• Thanks Merv…yes I was a passenger in this instance…it does look kinda cool eh!

I think you are close with the Dodge etc, but I think old Dogga thought it was something else. It’ll come to me!

4. I love the country in the first image – nice shot too.

I also really like the roo shot – great sense of action and tones.

• Thanks Toneman…to me the landscape apitimises the Australian outback…or possibly the Pilbara outback in any case.

The blue skies, the reds and the spinifex as well as the anthills all are what I grew up with!

Yep, I rate the roo shot as well…thanks Tone!

5. Eden says:

Good stuff, Mark πŸ™‚ I hope whoever went to get gas and left their car there wasn’t planning on driving it back home…

6. Greg Munyard says:

Really captured the Aussie outback with those, Markie. Well done.

Merv is on the right track. The car is American and is certainly not a Holden nor, I believe an Oldsmobile (although some of the 1952-ish cars had similar rear quarter views (is that how you say it?). Is highly likely to be:
    * out of the Chrysler group, and either a Desoto (my best guess) or the very similar Dodge Kingsway (there were a few of both cars around many years ago until the 1970’s).
    * made between 1954 – 1956.

7. Steve says:

Mark, it could be a Ford from the early 1940s brought over during the war.

Your road image really shows the reality of the outback!

8. Peta says:

Classic outback shot..good to see it is still very green. Also love the skippy shot…

9. Andrew Brown says:

Top shot for me, love it. Gunbarrel straight to coin a Dennis Commetti

10. Road to infinity is always a good subject for me, very nice, and I agree with Peta, incredibly green. Skippy the Roo is pretty darn cool too!

11. Michael Fletcher says:

Thats a bloody big Lizard. Wasn’t it going the other way????

Hmmmmmm??????

12. You must’ve been looking the other way mate…photos don’t lie you know!