Australia Day Sunset at Rottnest

Australia Day at Rottnest Island, on board the good boat Polaris. The sun smiling it’s bright hot rays complimented by a warm easterly wind, and the temperature hovering around 40c degrees. The clear, beautiful and refreshing ocean playing host to some superb surf, swimming, diving and snorkelling. All taking place under the bluest of skies. The skiest of skies. The bluest of blue. We can almost reach out and grab perfection.

Come sunset  dramatic clouds and lightning entered, to bookend this particularly beautiful Australia Day. Taking a run at the clouds were Peta North, Flemming and I. All the man-made fireworks in the world is no match for Mother Nature’s sunset and lightning bolts. I make this picture, hoping to do Mother Nature’s lightship justice, freezing a  beautiful moment in time.

This entry was posted in Australian Landscapes, Rottnest Island and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Australia Day Sunset at Rottnest

1. Ric McDonald says:

If your trying to male us jealous it worked.

Good shot

2. Yep I reckon that was part of the plan for sure Ric!

Hope you had a good one mate!

3. Tina says:

Simply beautiful Mark!

4. Simply thank you Tina!

5. Beautifully written and photographed. The bright colors of the sunset give the image a visual focal point, while at the same time there’s just enough detail in the rocks to give it some extra textural interest. My favorite of this year so far! 🙂 Did you use multiple exposures?

6. Why thank you Armand!

I did use 2 exposures and blended manually in photoshop.

7. Well composed, good use of colours, the orange and greys/blacks go very well together. What a perfect day it was. Sorry you missed out on the lightning, but we did very much enjoy the crayfish you cooked up while the rest of us oooh and aaah’ed over the lightning bolts.

Am liking the writing too, quite the poet you have become!

8. I guess the crayfish, maron and prawn took priority over the Lightning eh Flembot!

9. cliveaddison says:

Mark, What! No Australia Day on True North @ Rotto, this year ? Clive

10. No I am afraid not Clive!

We did some shows in Melbourne this year for Agents which has been very successful in boosting sales so the True North only got into town today.

Not sure we will be doing it again actually as the shows have worked pretty well for us!

I didn’t think it ever got to 40deg on Rotto.

Nice shot but I suspect Flemming helped with the words. 🙂

12. So vibrant and very nice image from what was clearly a top day and night 🙂

13. Peta North says:

Great pic Mark, beautifully captured and beautifully written….
    The cray was excellent and it was very hot…..but the water was perfect….

14. Wow mate simply jaw dropping shot!

15. Luke Austin says:

Great job of capturing the Aus day sunset Mark. It was a beauty!

16. Garry Frayne says:

Great shot Mark.
    Reminds me of the northwest, well except the limestone…
    cheers