Last light at Fays Bay Rottnest Island

At the risk of over doing the Fays Bay shoot we did on Australia Day, I thought I would also post this image, which I feel is worthy and has come out OK.

Hope you like it!

This entry was posted in Australian Landscapes, Rottnest Island, Sea Scapes, Sunset Sea Scapes and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Last light at Fays Bay Rottnest Island

1. Tina says:

I like it Mark. The tones are beautiful and that sky is awesome, but is the horizon a bit askew?

• Thanks for the comments Troops…it would appear I have a horizon to straighten!

Unlikely to be attributed to alcohol Armand as I don’t drink at all…have an allergy to it!

The Flembot got some really cool shots of us in action…now they’re gonna be gold, gold, gold!:)

2. very nice mark … Just maybe a a rule tool in PS … could be me by seems to fall off to the right a little

3. Very cool, this is my favorite of the Fays Bay shots. Nice subtle rays from the sunset. I was just about to comment on the horizon, but I see that others have already pointed that out. Since it was taken on Australia day I’m assuming that can be attributed to the consumption of some alcoholic beverages before/during the photo shoot ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Pete Hodgson says:

Can’t believe Flembo let this one past the keeper, great clouds as usual.

5. Great comment as usual Pete!:)

6. Jamie Nicolaou says:

Nice shot Mark, but I’m not sure if you’ve added in the “Jesus Rays”, as they’re apparently called. If they’re real, fine, but I’m not sure they are.

• Hi Jamie,

An interesting comment which opens the door for an interesting discussion!

The image has had quite a lot of positive feedback which means the image has appealed to people’s emotions enough to prompt comment.

Is there a difference if the rays have been added or not if the image does end up appealing to said emotions?

As an example some of Christian’s finest works have additional features added. Does that make the image a lesser image even if it appeals?

I look fwd to your comments Jamie…thanks for the feedback as well.

• Jamie Nicolaou says:

Mark, it is only my opinion. What appeals to one person doesn’t mean it works for the next. All I was saying is that the image to me would look fine without the fake rays. It just looks too fake for me, but like I said, that’s only my opinion. It doesn’t matter if the rays have been added or not, but if they look natural it is different. I don’t think we can go comparing to other peoples images. I know photoshop is a big part of photography now, but if something doesn’t look right, or natural, it takes it away from the photo, for me anyway.

7. Fair comments there Jamie!

• Jamie Nicolaou says:

Not a very convincing reply Mark. How bout posting the same image minus the rays??

• I am happy with the image as is Jamie, but I thank you for your comments.

You would be pretty happy with the D800 announcement would you not Jamie? Even I am considering jumping to Nikon at the mo if canon don’t pull a rabbit out of the hat!

• Jamie Nicolaou says:

Little bit disappointed actually, thought they may have put the D3x sensor in this camera, and keep the 36mp sensor for a pro body!!